Provide safe & reliable transportation to older adults ensuring they remain active, healthy, and connected to their community. Easy to use web-based scheduling system and mileage reimbursement and secondary auto insurance provided. Sometime we drive people to the doctor, and sometimes to visit friends. We’re all about helping our neighbors stay connected to the people and places they love most.
Flexible Schedule – give 2 rides per month for minimum of 3 months
- Must be 25+ years old
- Must complete background, DMV check, and reference checks
- San Diego County Regions include North County Inland, Northern San Diego, and Eastern San Diego
- Secondary insurance and mileage reimbursement
- You choose who, when, and where you drive
Deliver warm meals and a warm smile to homebound older adults and younger disabled adults with the JFS Foodmobile, which has delivered warm kosher meals to San Diego’s homebound older adults and younger disabled adults for over 40 years. We’re all about helping our neighbors stay healthy, independent, and connected.
Service Areas: College/Del Cerro, Hillcrest/North Park, Downtown, Tierrasanta, and La Jolla.
- Pick up meals in Kearny Mesa
- Drive solo or bring a friend along
- Scheduling is flexible; Shifts available Monday – Friday 10:30 am – 1:30 pm
- Minimum 3 month commitment (weekly, bi-weekly, monthly routes available)
- Must be at least 25, possess your own vehicle, Background check required
VISIT A SOCIAL & WELLNESS CENTER
Help create a warm and welcoming environment for participants at our College Avenue or Balboa Avenue Older Adult Centers. There are so many ways to get involved: Help with setup and lunch service, dance and play games, teach workshops, or simply spend time getting to know our community members.
Service Areas: Kearny Mesa, College Avenue
- One-time or ongoing opportunities available
- Must be 18 or older, under 18 accompanied by an adult
VISIT AN ISOLATED ADULT
Help an isolated older adult maintain their dignity and independence through companionship. This is a flexible position – visits can be scheduled based on the volunteer and client’s schedules.
- Must be at least 18 years old. Children can join in volunteering with an adult volunteer.
- Provide own transportation and clean driving record
- Enjoy working one-on-one with older adults
- Complete background, DMV and background check
- Minimum commitment of one year; schedule to be determined by volunteer and client
HELP WITH HOME REPAIRS
Fix It Volunteer
Provide minor home repairs and safety modifications to improve the safety and quality of life for low-income older adults and their caregiver while learning basic repair skills from a Fix-It Mentor. We operate at no cost to the client and our service is a great step in fall prevention. Most of the repairs we make are small—installing grab bars and smoke detectors, replacing light bulbs—and we’ll train you to do them. And if the job gets too big, our veteran Fixers are ready to jump in and help.
- Multiple locations throughout San Diego County
- Provide a minimum of one repair every 3 months
- Must be 18 or older
- Must provide own transportation, and have experience with minor home repair/modification work
- We provide tools and mileage reimbursement